Rad Reading – October

Rebound written by Kwame Alexander is a great book! Firstly the time period of this book takes place after the book Crossover. It’s just Charlie and his mom by themselves. Charlie can’t stop thinking about his dad. At the beginning of the story school is coming to an end and summer is approaching. Skinny and CJ are his friends and because basketball reminded him of his dad who is dead he started skating and began to read more comics. He later got in trouble for stealing drinks from an old lady’s porch who never used them. He later got in trouble and he had to walk the old lady’s dog, Woodrow Wilson. For summer his mom decided he should go out to his grandparents for the Whole summer. His cousin Roxie played basketball and when Charlie went to his grandfathers work he would play basketball with her.

My favorite character from Rebound was Charlie Bell. One reason why he’s my favorite is because he is the most interesting character. He has the most amount of things going on and he is also the main character. One of his traits is he is caring. One quote to prove this is “The two old men are still sitting on the porch when I return a few hours later, their faces lit by the fading sun, sleeping, snoring, and I don’t want to wake them, so I tiptoe up the stairs…” This proves he is caring because he takes into consideration that they are tired and don’t want to be bugged.

One of my favorite lines is “I don’t want to wake them, so I tiptoe up the stairs when outta nowhere Mr. Smitty screams ‘FREEZE!’ and points an imaginary gun at me at me and I almost jump outta my own skin and then they both sit up and start laughing like madmen.” This is my favorite line because it shows how innocent Charlie is because he wasn’t doing anything to the men. Another reason why I like this line is because I think it’s funny. The thing I like about the book is the pages are short so I don’t loose focus. There are so many things going on like basketball, CJ who may be more than just a friend, and he is staying at his grandparents and his cousin all at the same time.

Thank you for reading my Rad Reading September essay.